5 Simple Ways To Use Olive Oil For Natural Skincare
You're already using olive oil in your Real Food kitchen, so why not make it work double-duty and use it for skincare as well? There are many oils suitable for skin care treatments, but olive oil stands out for a number of reasons:
- It is tolerated well by most skin types and is even suitable for most sensitive skin.
- Olive oil is readily available and affordable.
- Olive oil mixes well with other oils and can be used in many different skincare applications
#1 — Makeup RemoverOlive oil is an effective makeup remover all on its own. However, feel free to blend with other gentle oils such as sweet almond oil or jojoba oil. To remove eye makeup and mascara, apply olive oil to a cotton ball and carefully wipe over the skin.
#2 — Facial CleanserWashing the face with oil is generally known as the Oil Cleansing Method. This method involves mixing oils such as olive oil, castor oil, sunflower seed oil, hazelnut oil, and/or jojoba to create a custom cleanser for your skin type. This method works well to remove dirt and grime and is even suitable for oily skin. The main reason being: like dissolves like. Excess oil from the skin and oil-based makeup are effectively washed away with oil -- leaving skin clean, soft, and smooth. Many report more radiant skin and fewer breakouts with the Oil Cleansing Method. Finding the right combination of oils for your skin type may take a little tweaking. Here are general guidelines for making one cup of oil cleanser:
- Oily skin: 1/3 cup castor oil and 2/3 cup olive oil
- Combination skin: 1/4 cup castor oil and 3/4 cup olive oil
- Dry skin: 1/2 tablespoon castor oil and 1 cup olive oil
- Massage approximately two teaspoons of oil into the skin
- Place a very warm (not hot) washcloth over the face for about a minute. The steam aids the oil in cleaning the skin and pores.
- Use the washcloth to wipe away the oil