Chard & Hemp Heart Pesto
Get your greens and protein in a simple, delicious sauce made in the blender!
Make use of abundant and seasonal greens with an incredibly easy pesto.
Traditionally, pesto is basil, oil, pine nuts, garlic, and maybe some cheese. Don’t be limited by tradition!
Pesto can be made of numerous combinations — such as chard and hemp hearts!
6 Ingredients and A Blender
This recipe could not be easier to assemble. First, trim the tough stems from the chard leaves. Next, give the leaves a rough chop and toss them into a blender with the other ingredients. Finally, hit puree and voila! — a delicious, healthy pesto packed with greens and protein.
If chard is unavailable, use kale or even spinach in the same amount. In fact, use whatever greens might be lounging in the kitchen or garden. Beet greens, radish greens, even turnip greens would work in this recipe.
Pesto freezes well and easily. Make big batches of it and freeze in 1-cup portions for green-packed meals even in a blizzard. This easy recipe is a great way to use up every bit of the garden harvest or CSA box.
How To Serve Chard And Hemp Heart Pesto
Most often pesto is served as a pasta sauce. This option should never be ignored. Warm pasta slathered in an intensely flavored green sauce is comforting and nutritious. Simply heat the pesto gently and stir into hot pasta. Other serving ideas include:
- Mix chard and hemp heart pesto into cooked rice or quinoa.
- Serve it on top of baked potatoes or steamed vegetables.
- Use it instead of traditional tomato sauce on pizza.
- Spread it onto sliced baguettes and top with sliced tomatoes for an appetizer.
- Use it instead of mayonnaise in pasta salads.
- Slather it on bread, rather than mayonnaise or dressing, for delicious sandwiches.
- Thin it out with a little hot water or additional oil and use as a salad dressing.
- Serve it as a dip with fresh vegetables, chips, and crackers.
- Stir a little into hot soups vegetable and noodle soups for extra flavor.
Don’t be shy about using those greens this fall; make batches of this pesto for amazing meals with minimal prep.
Have you ever made pesto with chard or hemp hearts? What’s your favorite way to eat pesto?
- 4cups chardChopped, about 6 ounces, stems removed (or sub kale, spinach, or other greens)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/3cup Wildly Organic Olive Oil
- 1/2teaspoon Wildly Organic Himalayan Salt
- 1/4teaspoon Wildly Organic Black Pepper
Combine everything in a blender or food processor.
Purée until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Pesto can be frozen. Simply put into a container leaving an inch headspace for expansion and freeze. Thaw completely before using.
The post Chard & Hemp Heart Pesto appeared first on Wildly Organic.