Protein-Packed Hemp Heart Granola
A crunchy, healthy snack or breakfast that’s full of protein that is frugal and homemade?
Granola seems to be the go-to snack of hippies, hikers, and health nuts alike. Ready-made granola purchased from stores, however, tends to be full of sugar and other not-so-desirable ingredients. Thankfully, making healthy granola at home is easy and economical.
Hemp Hearts: Naturally Protein Packed
Oats generally make granola a carb-heavy food. Carbs do give us energy when we’re hiking, but they don’t always provide long-term satiety. Adding protein to all those carbs means we can feel fuller, longer.
Hemp hearts pack a LOT of protein in a tiny package. Three tablespoons of hemp hearts contain 11 grams of protein — all from a clean, natural, vegetable-based source!
Served with fresh fruit and milk, hemp heart granola gives a quick and healthy start to the day. Top yogurt or fresh fruit with hemp heart granola for a crunchy hit of protein. Sprinkle hemp heart granola over ice cream or pudding for delightfully crisp texture on normally smooth desserts.
How To Customize Your Hemp Heart Granola
The basic recipe is easy and contains few ingredients. The options to make it personal and indulgent are endless. Some ideas to consider:
- Use any ground spice or combination of spices instead of the ground cardamom.
- Substitute maple syrup instead of honey to keep it vegan.
- Switch out the vanilla extract for almond or coconut extract for a completely different flavor profile.
- Add 1/2 cup of dried fruits to the mix after it has cooled before storing and eating later.
- For an even sweeter, almost dessert-like option add up to 1/2 cup chocolate chips after it has cooled.
Skip the expensive and dubious ingredient-laden granola from the store and make your own with this super easy and delicious hemp heart granola recipe.